2019 Dates: This course is available only upon request, at a date agreed together.
This three day course is especially suitable for those who:
- want to gain a basic understanding of how an earth building provides thermal comfort and energy savings
- have a plan to build an earth home (or any small-sized building) and need basic design skills,
The course combines classroom learning (lectures, discussions, case-studies, exercises) with visits to our buildings and demonstrations areas (thermal mass walls with earth bricks, insulating walls with rice husk etc). It covers the following topics:
– Thermal mass and insulation
– Elements of design (orientation, layout of interior and exterior spaces, etc…)
– Passive cooling and heating
– Demonstration of thermal mass walls (earth bricks, cob)
– Demonstration of insulating walls (rice husk bags, light earth blocks/panels)
– Examples of cost of small-sized earth buildings in Thailand (materials and labour)
You will be given a USB memory stick containing a summary of the training materials including additional documents (PDF files, Videos) and useful links if you wish to learn further.
The course will be held at our centre, 25 kms south of Chiang Rai, and will have a maximum of 2 participants.
Trainer: Alain Madec, natural builder and founder of ‘Baan Din Doi’.
Course schedule: 8.30 to 18.00 with several breaks; Lunch break: 12.00 to 14.00
We can pick up participants the day before the workshop begins at Chiang Rai airport or at the bus station and will give you more details by email. To know how to get to Chiang Rai, click here.
We will provide simple accommodation in a tent. A mattress, blanket, pillow will be provided. A hammock, chair and small table are available near the tent if you wish to retreat for some privacy. Outdoor toilets and cool or hot showers are close to the tents. Wifi and 220 V electricity are available.
All meals will be vegetarian food with some meat and fish options. We will try to use the most organic vegetables, fruits and products available.
Fee & inquiries
Email us to email@example.com