2020 Dates: 12 – 15 September; 7 – 10 November; 19 – 22 December
2021 Dates: 20 – 23 February; 12 – 15 June
Click here to see the full calendar.
Workshop in English organized by BaanDinDoi and hosted by ‘Earth Home’ near Chiang Mai (www.earthhomethailand.com)
This workshop is an opportunity to reflect on self-reliance and living with less … less money, less consumption, less pollution, less worries and hopefully more time (and money) for what is essential for you…
Housing is for many people the main expense and concern, therefore the main subject will be to examine several options for a simple housing: small sized natural house, tiny house, container, lightweight house e.g. yurt.
You will also visit two places where people have been experimenting since several years ways to live in a more sustainable and self-reliant way (food production, seed saving, low technology systems, earth buildings): Earth Home homestay run by a Thai family, Pun Pun organic farm organised as a community.
Self-reliance is a key aspect for living with less, and you will learn how to make healthy drinks, Thai cuisine dishes and cosmetics.
- Helping you to reflect on your essential needs
- Proposing ways to move towards a more self-reliant life-style by learning how to make handmade healthy products and how to use earth and other natural materials to build your home.
Course schedule and content
Day 1 (*): Earth building (soil testing, making and laying adobe bricks)
Day 2 (*): Simple and affordable housing
Day 3 (**): Healthy Thai cuisine class (2 dishes) and making of herbal tea (depending on the season: lemon-grass, roselle, butterfly pea or pandan). Making of soap and kaffir lime shampoo (see details below)
Day 4 (*): Earth building (making a Cob wall, earth plastering)
- Hand-made natural Shampoo: Suitable for everyone and every type of hair, especially those with psoriasis, dandruff, scaly scalp, eczema, and tinea versicolor, our organic kaffir lime shampoo is extremely gentle, mild and 100% chemical-free.
- Hand-made soap (Ingredients: Glycerin, Turmeric, Coconut oil and Essential oil): Using such soap is a natural way of treating many skin problems and getting a flawless, glowing skin. It’s great against acne because turmeric acts as a natural anti-bacterial agent and helps provide Vitamin E to moisturize and revitalize your skin cells, it also helps to restore skin to its natural healthy glow.
* Alain Madec, 48, is a French man who has been living in Thailand since 2006. After 8 years working for a Thai NGO, in 2016 he founded BaanDinDoi, an eco-farm and natural building learning center near Chiang Rai and is a passionate earth builder. His Thai wife and he have started to live more simply and in a self-reliant and sustainable way since a few years.
** Aom, Thai, is manager at Earth Home Thailand, she is also one of the permanent cook and has been involved in several workshops (sustainability workshops for children, natural building etc). As a young mother, she is very active in Earth Home School, an alternative way to educate children of a few families in the surrounding villages.
- A few movies will be proposed after diner
- On request: Thai massage available on site (400 bahts for 2 hours)
After the course
- You will be given printed handouts and the digital version of the training materials including additional documents (PDF files, Videos) and useful links if you wish to learn further
- You will be proposed to participate to our building projects (maintenance, extensions or new buildings) in our land (Chiang Rai). This will allow you to get more practise (contribution for food and simple accommodation: 400 bahts per day)
The course will be held at ‘Earth Home Thailand’ at Mae Taeng, near Chiang Mai, and will have a maximum of 8 participants.
Course schedule: 8.30 to 18.00 with several breaks; Lunch break: 12.00 to 14.00
- The calm of a homestay and garden in a small Thai village
- Staying 3 nights in a comfortable earth-made room (suitable for 2 people, private bathroom)
- Delicious Thai food (vegeterian or non-vegeterian)
7,200 baht/person (200 euros, 220 USD), including instruction, accommodation, all meals during the course, pick-up and drop-off at Chiang Mai airport.
For more information or registration contact firstname.lastname@example.org